Sunday, January 25, 2015

Navigating the Pain

Navigating through the pain of Lyme Disease is overwhelming. Lately, I have been so up and down with pain that it is wearing me out physically and mentally. There is extreme pain in my joints and my body shakes for long periods of time. I have moments where I want to move to a warm climate where the weather is steady year round because I feel like I have arthritis. If you know me, moving somewhere like this is totally not me. I love the seasons; even the rain and snow.

So, why 2 1/2 years after being bit by a tic do I still have such severe pain? The main reason that scientists believe is that there are residual effects from contracting Lyme. When a person is bit by a tic the bacteria can be killed with antibiotics. What people don't realize is that a person's immune system is likely lowered and they are susceptible to other diseases. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that,
            "Approximately 10 to 20% of patients treated for Lyme disease with a recommended 2–4 week course of antibiotics will have lingering symptoms of fatigue, pain, or joint and muscle aches. In some cases, these can last for more than 6 months. Although often called "chronic Lyme disease," this condition is properly known as "Post-treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome" (PTLDS).
The exact cause of PTLDS is not yet known. Most medical experts believe that the lingering symptoms are the result of residual damage to tissues and the immune system that occurred during the infection."

The CDC, in 2013, increased the number of cases of Lyme Disease as 10 times higher than in years past. Many believe this estimate is not even close to the undiagnosed number of cases.
           "About 300,000 Americans each year are diagnosed with Lyme disease, according to new estimate released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week. That number is 10 times higher than the number of cases reported annually to the CDC."

A comprehensive plan to treating Lyme is essential. I believe antibiotics alone will not cure you if you are suffering with PTLDS. Most likely you will end up with other issues from long term use of antibiotics. I personally am on a comprehensive treatment plan to address the other physical side effects I now have. The issue is that regardless of being treated I still hurt, and bad!! Some days are awesome and then I suddenly I feel like I have been run over by a truck. There does not seem to be a clear cut path to recovery. I am following the best route I know to for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment